Wednesday, May 11, 2011

2 Weeks

I've been on Macca for two whole weeks now, that's all. There's been so much going on that it feels like two months. Change over fairly smooth although there were days when no operations could be completed due to weather, which left people who were then going to spend the next few months (or up to a year) on the ship.

During the final stages of the resupply I was lucky enough to get the opportunity to spend some time on the water in an IRB as part of the station refuelling process. This involves running a hose, 1Km long, 3in wide from the ship to the shore and the IRB's are used to place sea anchors at the joints allowing the Aurora to move around in the wind without twisting the hose. They were able to pump 240 000L of diesel within around 6 hrs.

I'm yet to have the opportunity to go off station limits, which won't happen until I complete my field training. I have, however, been running around and taking photos of everything.

On ANZAC Day a sea lion decided to visit us and harass the elephant seals

A fur seal playing king of the castle


This is a typical day at Macca, the wind was probably between 20-25kts

No comments:

Post a Comment