Sunday, September 25, 2011

Walkabout

A couple of days after my sister's wedding (see a couple of posts below) I went off station on a 6 day walk. I made it down to Hurd point again and had a lovely rest day down there. I also met up with many of the expeditioners who are based in the field, which was very nice indeed. However the most amazing thing to happen was a perfectly calm, still, bright, glorious sunny day - I was even able to take off the gortex outer layer we generally get around in.

One of the expeditioners mentioned that that sort of doesn't come around too often, maybe once every 5 or so years.

Moon rise out of Green Gorge Hut

Mt Hamilton on a fantastic day

Mt Jeffryes looking a little tamer than the last time I was there. See the post from a few months ago

Looking towards Carrick bay, to the west of Windy Ridge (which was only breezy)
 
Round 1: Fight!

They can move fairly quickly for something that weighs around 3 tonnes.
This guy decided I was interesting enough to come and have a close look at



More Giant Petrel photos, these birds are the pterodactyls around here.

Aurora over Hurd Point Hut
Aurora to the south of Waterfall Bay Hut   



No comments:

Post a Comment