Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Scrambled Brains

A couple of weeks ago I was given the option of staying on after the resupply in April. I took a week to make the decision and in the mean time spoke mostly gibberish, couldn't think coherently and ran away from station for a night to converse with the penguins and ele seals.

In the end I've decided to head home in April and will put in an application for next year to do the job again - hopefully at a different station, I'd like to see the ice.

Sitting at Green Gorge with Claudia and Dean (Jack and Dana are hiding behind the lens), having some beers and general good times.

6 comments:

  1. See you on the Big Island in just
    a few months...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! Nice blog! what did you used to do for a job? Were you a met tech back in australia?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thank you very much. I used to work as an IT tech at Hewlett-Packard - a fun job, but this one is so much more rewarding.

      You know, yours is the first comment from someone I don't know. Again, thank you, it's great to know there's people outside of family and friends reading about this adventure.

      Delete
    2. Actually thank you for writing it! I'm day dreaming about applying next year (the openings this year just closed), but I'm a little scared about the idea of a whole year away... Still, I have a year to think about it.

      Delete
    3. I would suggest calling any phone numbers from the job ad, as you may be invited to put in a late application - and some people who went south in the 2010/11 shipping season did exactly that and got the job as very late entries.

      Either way, have a go and hopefully you get the opportunity. This has been a truly amazing experience.

      Delete