Monday, March 12, 2012

Winding Down, Speeding Up

With about 4 1/2 5 1/2 weeks until the ship arrives - is that all??? - we're starting to get into resupply mode. The Met office and the various buildings housing experiments we look after are being cleaned, tidied and made ready for new occupants. We're planning final field trips around the island - I'll be heading out on Friday for a week - and enjoying our time here as much as possible with so little left. I went off station for one night at Brothers Point last Friday and was lucky enough to have the hut to myself. This is a very rare occurrence considering the number of people based in the field.

Some have started to book holidays or, for those coming off contract, employment. I've put in an application to go south again (it's kinda fun down here) and if that falls through, then... I don't know and I don't think that it's all that important. Either way, I'm going to visit a few people around the world and reacquaint with society.

In the mean time, we're keeping a careful watch for aurora and had a fairly good one last night. Hopefully there'll be better ones over the next few weeks.

We couldn't see the aurora this well with the naked eye, the moon was very bright and dulling the effects

It even started to get a bit of red in it. How pretty :)

No comments:

Post a Comment