Tuesday, March 29, 2011

I Love This Job

As the training draws to an end (yep, training finishes on Friday April 1st), I look back on all that has happened since August 2010 and can only think that I have the best job in the world. Of course, these thoughts may change at some point, but seriously, I have nothing to complain about.

The training began with a flurry of information about how to be a BOM Observer: reading cloud types and heights; recording rainfall, wind speeds and temperatures; and sending weather balloons up into the air. Next up came the technician training - there were a few new machines to get my head around in a very short amount of time, then I was put to work in the NSW regional maintenance centre (RMC) and ended up in all sorts of odd places. Such as inside a RADAR dome:



Finally, after months of waiting, came the AAD training schedule. I now have a forklift license (yep, they were silly enough to give me one); I've been trained in search and rescue (SAR), specifically on steep slopes; and today we finished the fire and ERT (Emergency Response Team) training.

I'll say it again: I love this job.

Fireman Leon

2 comments:

  1. The forklift is mainly for use in the store room. There's a lot of gear held for a year's supply... or more if problems arise.

    ReplyDelete